After many years of professional analysis, we can now state that 5 Key Stats tell us to perfection the outcome of any golf round.
Every single golf shot in a round is accounted for and summarized in the following 5 Key Stats:
- GIR (Greens in Regulation) – The percent of greens hit in regulation. A green is considered hit in regulation if reached in 1 shot on a par 3, in 2 shots on a par 4 or in 3 shots on a par 5.
- PGR (Putts per GIR) – The average number of putts per green in regulation.
- SCR (Scrambling) – The percent of time scoring par or better when missing the green in regulation.
- BONUS – These are premium plays. The number of times reaching the green in 2 shots on a par 5, in 1 shot on a par 4, or holing out a scrambling attempt (birdie after missing the green in regulation). Each of these plays counts for 1 BONUS.
- STRG (Struggles) – These are negative plays. The number of shots worse than bogey after missing the green in regulation. Each shot counts for 1 STRG. For example: double bogey = 1 STRG, triple bogey = 2 STRG.